Monday, March 7, 2011

Essex Reporter co-founder wins South Carolina Press Association awards

Essex Reporter co-founder Tim Callahan won four 2010 South Carolina Press Assocation awards, including two first place honors.

Callahan started his third community newspaper, The Murrells Inlet Messenger, last year and earned instant recognition from his peers, capturing first place among associate/individual members in the best editorial/opinion category for a column on his younger brother's funeral.

He swept the best feature writing category, winning first second and third place.

As a general assignment reporter for the Coastal Observer, Callahan won SCPA awards in 2006 and 2007 for beat reporting - courts and education - and sports and news writing. He spent 2008 and 2009 finishing a novel and freelancing 121 articles for a local paper.

Callahan also attended Denver Seminary and earned a master's degree in journalism from Regent University in 2001. He was a Washington, D.C., correspondent for Christianity Today from 2002-2004. In the 90's, he earned statewide press awards in Pennsylvania, where he met his wife of 13 years, Debbie. They live in Pawleys Island, S.C., and are active members of Grace Church Waccamaw, where they are starting a Celebrate Recovery ministry.

"Without the Lord and recovery, I would have been dead 25 years ago," Callahan said.

"I am a Vermonter at heart," Callahan said. "I read Vermont Press Connections without fail. I have known Guy Page for 30 years and he is a good friend and fellow publisher, who learned a trick or two from Kit Wright and myself after we started the Essex Reporter [in 1981, after Suburban List folded]. In turn, Kit and I were taught the basics by The Other Paper. "Guy stayed with the Cochester and North Avenue papers a lot longer than I did with the papers I founded," Callahan said. "I am now learning from him. And I am glad he is doing Vermont Press Connections and keeping me informed. It's needed. The Vermont Press Association has to be the only one in the country without a web site."

No comments:

Post a Comment